Powerball lottery headed to California
SAN LORENZO, Calif. (KGO) -- Powerball -- the multi-state lottery game that's created nationwide frenzies is coming to California next week.
While no one can guarantee who will win the games' sizeable jackpots, California schools will almost certainly be big winners. Powerball could bring them $40- $50 million in revenue.
As for your odds of winning, statistics professor Mike Orkin says they are almost identical to the odds of winning MegaMillions.
"If you buy 50 MegaMillions or Powerball tickets a week, you'll win the jackpot on the average of once every 68,000 years," he said.
lottery, california news, jonathan bloom
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- GM recalls 1.18 million SUVs for air bag problem
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists
- CHP reopens two lanes of WB I-80 in SF
- LA police say no leads in AMBER Alert abduction
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos