Mother backing out of driveway hits 4-year-old son
MARINA, Calif. -- A 4-year-old Monterey County boy was airlifted to a hospital this morning after his mother accidentally backed into him with her car as she was leaving for work, a police sergeant said.
The mother was backing out of the family's driveway in the 400 block of Exeter Place in the coastal community of Marina at about 9:50 a.m. when she heard a scream, Sgt. Bob Nolan said.
She got out of the car and saw that she had hit her young son. When emergency responders arrived, they found the mother "traumatized" and the boy badly injured, Nolan said.
He was taken to the Marina Municipal Airport, where he was airlifted to a Bay Area trauma center, the sergeant said.
Nolan said the boy had strayed into the driveway unbeknownst to his parents.
"The family members were all busy getting ready for their day and lost track of the boy," he said.
The boy's injuries are considered life-threatening, he said.
children, california news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos