Calaveras Sheriffs investigate murder of 9-year-old
FRESNO, Calif. -- Calaveras County Sheriff's Deputies are searching for the man who killed a 8-year-old girl in her home.
Investigators would not go into details. But Action News has learned the girl's 12-year-old brother had a run in with the intruder at their Rancho Calaveras home.
The boy called his parents moments later, once he found his sister had been stabbed. The young girl was rushed to the hospital where she was pronounced dead. This morning the search continues for the killer.
Calaveras County Sheriff Jim Macedo said, "Are doing a house to house search and in some cases we are searching extensively into attics storage sheds, it is a difficult area to search it is rural, remote."
Nieghbors say they can't believe a child was murdered in their small town. The suspect is considered armed and dangerous.
- Freeze warning continues for most of Bay Area
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Owens' Olympic gold medal sells for record $1.4M
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour ring record 5 min ago
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane 13 min ago
- SJ seeks crowdfunding support for gun buyback
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday