Vigil held for murdered 8-year-old Leila Fowler
VALLEY SPRINGS, Calif. (KGO) -- In Gold Country, authorities are continuing to look at anyone and anything that might help find whoever killed a little girl. Eight-year-old Leila Fowler was stabbed to death in her home in Valley Springs in Calaveras County over the weekend. Tuesday night, a vigil was held in her honor.
The emotions are raw for those who knew young Leila.
"She was really, really sweet, but had her shy moments, happy little girl, cared about a lot of people, a lot," family friend Kennedie Pekarek said.
Tuesday morning, the house where Leila was killed was quiet. The yellow tape was gone, along with most of the police cars. There were a few stuffed animals at the mailbox.
Last night, Leila's parents stood stoically behind sheriff's investigators as they talked about their daughter's murder and the information provided by their 12-year-old son, who found Leila.
"The 12-year-old son saw a subject in his home," Capt. Jim Macedo said. "We use the term intruder. He briefly followed this person until the person left the house and that's when he went to check on his sister."
Meanwhile, the effort to keep things normal and safe continues at Leila's school, where counselors and police remain a constant presence.
"That team will be back on campus today," Principal Amy Hasselwander said. "It includes school psychologists, chaplains, peer counselors from the high school, working with the kids, the community and the parents to deal with the grief, the tragedy and also the fear."
For the first time on Tuesday night we heard from the girl's heartbroken family. Her mother said a few words at the vigil thanking everyone for their support.
The sheriff in Calaveras County says it is unlikely that a man accused of trying to kidnap a toddler in Placerville is also responsible for killing Leila. Jason Wayrynen was arrested Tuesday. Police say the mother of the toddler "struggled with and overpowered" Wayrynen before officers arrived.
A Memorial Fund has been set up for Leila Fowler at F&M Bank of Central California. Please mail all donations to:
18836 E. Main Street
Linden, CA 95236
Questions: (209) 887-2299
Routing # 1211 08441
crime, children, murder, child death, california news, laura anthony
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang 27 min ago
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos