$424M in lotto jackpots up for grabs in California
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Two large lottery jackpots are up for grabs in Californaia, worth a combined total of $424 million.
Powerball started in California exactly one month ago. So far, no one has won the jackpot. The combined prizes of more than $400 million have been creating a steady stream of ticket buyers at places across the Bay Area.
Lotto sales in San Jose are brisk. In East San Jose, Pedro Orozco already knows what he'll do with either the $154 million Mega winnings or the $270 million now in the Powerball bank. "I'm going to buy a new leg, a new leg, if I win the money," he told ABC News. Orozco lost his leg last year to disease.
Other people are making travel plans, like Ruben Alavez. "I would come back to Mexico. The very first thing," he said.
California has just joined the Powerball lottery which now has 43 states in it, which makes winning "astronomical" according to Gary Canellys. He says he bought his Powerball ticket because the prize is so high he couldn't resist.
"Well, the first thing I would do is I would share with family. My brother in-law has been out of work for a while, for my sister and her kids that can use a little help," he said.
While Canellys' plan is admirable, the first thing he would probably do if he won Powerball is dance. A Toronto woman who recently won $40 million in the Canadian lottery danced for about half an hour.
lottery, california news
- 5-alarm fire burning at building near China Basin 13 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Major BART delays due to Balboa Park station incident 32 min ago
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos