UCSC student killed by fallen tree at Camp Tawonga near Yosemite
TUOLUMNE COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman was killed Wednesday when tree fell at Camp Tawonga, a Jewish youth sleepaway camp near Yosemite National Park.
Camp Tawonga officials confirmed that counselor Annais Rittenberg was killed when a tree fell outside the dining hall Wednesday morning. Four other adult staff members were injured and transported to area hospitals. Two have been released and two were still receiving care late Wednesday afternoon.
All of the children at the camp were inside the dining hall eating breakfast at the time of the accident. None were injured. Camp officials say the camp session will continue as planned.
Rittenberg was a student UC Santa Cruz, where she would have been starting her senior year in the fall. She was known on campus for her participation in a weekly radio show on the campus radio station KZSC. She was working at the camp as an art instructor. Her mother told ABC7 News Rittenberg loved nature.
"As our own hearts are still hurting, we send our sincerest condolences to her family and loved ones," Camp Tawonga Executive Director Ken Kramarz said in a statement relased Wednesday afternoon.
The camp is located in Tuolumne County, outside of the community of Groveland near Highway 120. Many of the children at the camp come from the Bay Area. Nathaniel Bergson-Michelson, a spokesperson for the Jewish Community Center of San Francisco says, "Our whole community's thoughts are with the camp."
The fallen tree did knock out power to part of the camp. Utility crews were working to restore power.
ABC7 News reporters David Louie and Nannette Miranda contributed to this report.
yosemite, children, uc santa cruz, california news
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy 4 min ago
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges 56 min ago
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday