Saturday's Powerball jackpot to top $300 million
DES MOINES, Iowa -- Dreamers hoping to strike it rich quick plunked down $2 a ticket hoping to win a Powerball jackpot estimated to be at least $300 million.
The winning numbers for Saturday's drawing were 21, 24, 36, 42, and 45, with the Powerball 15.
The revised estimated jackpot wasn't available immediately after Saturday's numbers were drawn, but it was expected to fall well below the record $590.5 million jackpot that was won in May by an 84-year-old Florida widow.
Saturday's pot was big enough though to attract casual players who only buy tickets when they think the payoff is big and potentially life-changing.
The odds of matching all six numbers are 1 in 175.2 million.
Powerball is played in 43 states, Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
lottery, california news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday