Saturday's Powerball jackpot to top $300 million
DES MOINES, Iowa -- Dreamers hoping to strike it rich quick plunked down $2 a ticket hoping to win a Powerball jackpot estimated to be at least $300 million.
The winning numbers for Saturday's drawing were 21, 24, 36, 42, and 45, with the Powerball 15.
The revised estimated jackpot wasn't available immediately after Saturday's numbers were drawn, but it was expected to fall well below the record $590.5 million jackpot that was won in May by an 84-year-old Florida widow.
Saturday's pot was big enough though to attract casual players who only buy tickets when they think the payoff is big and potentially life-changing.
The odds of matching all six numbers are 1 in 175.2 million.
Powerball is played in 43 states, Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
lottery, california news
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos