Saturday's Powerball jackpot to top $300 million
DES MOINES, Iowa -- Dreamers hoping to strike it rich quick plunked down $2 a ticket hoping to win a Powerball jackpot estimated to be at least $300 million.
The winning numbers for Saturday's drawing were 21, 24, 36, 42, and 45, with the Powerball 15.
The revised estimated jackpot wasn't available immediately after Saturday's numbers were drawn, but it was expected to fall well below the record $590.5 million jackpot that was won in May by an 84-year-old Florida widow.
Saturday's pot was big enough though to attract casual players who only buy tickets when they think the payoff is big and potentially life-changing.
The odds of matching all six numbers are 1 in 175.2 million.
Powerball is played in 43 states, Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
lottery, california news
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket 49 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets 51 min ago
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan 5 min ago
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting 39 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday