Salinas police searching for two fatal shooting suspects
SALINAS, Calif. -- A man was killed and another was injured in a shooting Friday morning in Salinas and police are asking the public for help tracking down two suspects.
Officers responded to a report of shots fired in a parking lot in the 400 block of Williams Road at about 10:40 a.m., according to police.
When officers arrived, they found Jose Maravilla-Ruiz, 38, unconscious and suffering from a gunshot wound. He was transported to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Another victim, a 21-year-old man, was found shot in the torso and was airlifted to a San Jose hospital. He was treated and released, police said.
The second victim later told police that two men approached them asking which gang they were affiliated with, according to police.
When the victims said they were not gang members, one suspect opened fire, police said. Both suspects got away.
Anyone with information about the suspects or shooting is asked to call Salinas police at (831) 758-7322 or the Tip Line at (831) 775-4222 or (800) 782-7463.
salinas, crime, shooting, california news
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake 36 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 31 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond 50 min ago
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body