State Route 120 reopens as crews continue battling Rim Fire
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. (KGO) -- Crews are working to strengthen the hold lines of the Rim Fire that's burning on the western side of Yosemite National Park.
On Saturday State Route 120 in the area reopened, though fire crews are still working in the area.
Firefighters expect the flames to continue to spread to the northwest into the Yosemite wilderness north of Hetch Hetchy.
The National Park Service has assembled a Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER) team to assess the post-fire effects of the Rim Fire on the infrastructure and resources of Yosemite.
"Over 77 000 acres have burned within the park making this is the largest wildfire in modern history to burn in Yosemite," said BAER Team Leader Chris Holbeck in a news release. "For the most part the fire burned at a moderate to low intensity in a mosaic pattern and should prove to restore forest structure. Yosemite has some of the largest remaining tracts of old growth forests in California including giant sequoias we're working hard to keep it that way."
The fire has been burning since August 17. It has charred 400 square miles and destroyed 11 homes and more than 100 other buildings.
It is now 80 percent contained.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
fire, wildfire, evacuation, hetch hetchy, water, california news
- South African leader Nelson Mandela has died
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Teen found murdered in 1994 ID'd as Pacifica girl
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents 16 min ago
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- Bay Area bundles up as frigid weather continues 11 min ago
- Cal signs $18M deal for naming rights at stadium
- Batkid returning to SF for fundraising walk
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- FBI seeks 'Sports Cap Bandit' bank robbery suspect
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: Batkid back in SF; Fremont burglar
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Cold snap causes pipes to burst at Marin...
27 min ago