Priest resigns after saying he has unborn child
STOCKTON, Calif. (KGO) -- A Roman Catholic priest in Stockton has resigned after telling his parishioners that he's the father an unborn child.
Dean McFalls made his announcement during mass at Saint Mary's church this past weekend. McFalls said he talked openly about what's going on because he didn't want people guessing. The church forbids priests from marrying or having children.
"I believe in my life, I'm accepting a reality that's been a part of me from beginning but whatever the case, our ministers, priests we're always under attack as well from the devil from the world from our own weakness," said McFalls.
McFalls believes the church would be better off if priests were allowed to marry. He hasn't revealed who the child's mother is or if he'll marry her.
stockton, california news
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions
- Beyonce releases new iTunes-exclusive album
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday