Sierra ski resorts begin opening for winter
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Most Sierra ski resorts will be open for Thanksgiving. This past weekend, Heavenly and Northstar opened. Kirkwood followed on Monday and both Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows are opening Wednesday.
While they haven't had much natural snow yet, their investments in snow-making equipment are paying off.
"Yeah, the overnight temperatures have really dropped down and allow us to fire up those snow-making guns during the night and continue to make snow to add to our already great base that we have," said Sally Gunter of Heavenly.
They're hoping that some rain will come and bring fresh snow in the Sierra.
sierra, lake tahoe, snow, ski resorts, thanksgiving, california news
- 3-alarm fire burning at building near China Basin 6 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Major BART delays due to Balboa Park station incident 6 min ago
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos