Sierra ski resorts begin opening for winter
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Most Sierra ski resorts will be open for Thanksgiving. This past weekend, Heavenly and Northstar opened. Kirkwood followed on Monday and both Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows are opening Wednesday.
While they haven't had much natural snow yet, their investments in snow-making equipment are paying off.
"Yeah, the overnight temperatures have really dropped down and allow us to fire up those snow-making guns during the night and continue to make snow to add to our already great base that we have," said Sally Gunter of Heavenly.
They're hoping that some rain will come and bring fresh snow in the Sierra.
sierra, lake tahoe, snow, ski resorts, thanksgiving, california news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Tri-Valley area could see higher drought rates
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Homicide suspected after body found in San Jose
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- 7OYS explains how to get free car inspections
- Sharks beat Kings 4-3 in OT, take 3-0 series lead
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Suspected San Jose homicide; Warriors Arena
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos