Ex-San Diego Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
SAN DIEGO -- Former San Diego Mayor Bob Filner has been sentenced to three months home detention and three years probation after pleading guilty to sexual harassment charges.
Filner faced up to four years in state prison, but he struck a plea deal to avoid jail time.
The former mayor sat expressionless as he listened to statements from the victims read by the prosecutor Melissa Mandel.
"Filner demeaned his victims, he humiliated them, he scared them, he embarrassed them, he sexualized and devalued them. And he did all of this with the power and influence of the public office he held," Mandel said.
Filner took the opportunity to apologize, saying he would work to earn back the trust of those he betrayed and recover his integrity.
"I want to apologize to my family, who have stood by me through this ordeal, to my loyal staff and supporters, the citizens of San Diego and most sincerely to the women I have hurt and offended," he said. "Certainly the behaviors before this court today will never be repeated."
The Democrat resigned less than two months ago after several women publicly accused him of sexual harrasment and unwanted advances.
Filner pleaded guilty in October to charges of felony false imprisonment and misdemeanor battery Tuesday. The false imprisonment charge stems from a fundraising event in San Diego in March, when the 71-year-old mayor restrained Jane Doe 1 against her will.
One battery charge stems from a "meet the mayor" event in April when Filner kissed the victim on the lips without her consent. And the second battery charge was from an incident at the Fiesta Island Rally in May when Filner grabbed the victim's bottom without her consent while posing for a photo with her.
The former 10-term congressman cannot seek or hold elected office while on probation and will be monitored by GPS during home confinement, which begins Jan. 1.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
san diego, election, california news
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing 59 min ago
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Astronauts discuss impact of social media in space
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno...
59 min ago