Ex-San Diego Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
SAN DIEGO -- Former San Diego Mayor Bob Filner has been sentenced to three months home detention and three years probation after pleading guilty to sexual harassment charges.
Filner faced up to four years in state prison, but he struck a plea deal to avoid jail time.
The former mayor sat expressionless as he listened to statements from the victims read by the prosecutor Melissa Mandel.
"Filner demeaned his victims, he humiliated them, he scared them, he embarrassed them, he sexualized and devalued them. And he did all of this with the power and influence of the public office he held," Mandel said.
Filner took the opportunity to apologize, saying he would work to earn back the trust of those he betrayed and recover his integrity.
"I want to apologize to my family, who have stood by me through this ordeal, to my loyal staff and supporters, the citizens of San Diego and most sincerely to the women I have hurt and offended," he said. "Certainly the behaviors before this court today will never be repeated."
The Democrat resigned less than two months ago after several women publicly accused him of sexual harrasment and unwanted advances.
Filner pleaded guilty in October to charges of felony false imprisonment and misdemeanor battery Tuesday. The false imprisonment charge stems from a fundraising event in San Diego in March, when the 71-year-old mayor restrained Jane Doe 1 against her will.
One battery charge stems from a "meet the mayor" event in April when Filner kissed the victim on the lips without her consent. And the second battery charge was from an incident at the Fiesta Island Rally in May when Filner grabbed the victim's bottom without her consent while posing for a photo with her.
The former 10-term congressman cannot seek or hold elected office while on probation and will be monitored by GPS during home confinement, which begins Jan. 1.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
san diego, election, california news
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest 5 min ago
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 47 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law
- Brentwood police investigate armed robbery spree
- California regulators propose coyote-killing ban
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday