Beach fisherman reels in great white shark off Camp Pendleton
SAN DIEGO -- A San Diego Marine went out fishing and reeled in a great white shark in October.
Jeff Fangman was out fishing with his family near Camp Pendleton in late October when he pulled in the shark.
Fangman says he's fished for many years in many locations and has pulled almost everything out of the water: bull sharks, tiger sharks and even hammerheads. But never a great white shark, and definitely never in California.
"Seeing it in the water was just, it was almost mind-blowing," said Fangman. "It's taken several weeks for the whole ordeal to sink in."
It's illegal for fishermen to target great white sharks. Fangman took a few seconds of video and released it back into the ocean.
animal news, california news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game 42 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Man fined $525 for refilling drink without paying 43 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Firework thrown into bleachers during...
42 min ago