Beach fisherman reels in great white shark off Camp Pendleton
SAN DIEGO -- A San Diego Marine went out fishing and reeled in a great white shark in October.
Jeff Fangman was out fishing with his family near Camp Pendleton in late October when he pulled in the shark.
Fangman says he's fished for many years in many locations and has pulled almost everything out of the water: bull sharks, tiger sharks and even hammerheads. But never a great white shark, and definitely never in California.
"Seeing it in the water was just, it was almost mind-blowing," said Fangman. "It's taken several weeks for the whole ordeal to sink in."
It's illegal for fishermen to target great white sharks. Fangman took a few seconds of video and released it back into the ocean.
animal news, california news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday