Law requiring cars to give bikes clearance takes effect in 2014
The DMV is making sure drivers keep a safe distance between their vehicles and bicyclists in 2014.
The Three Feet for Safety Act is one of several new motorist laws taking effect next year.
It requires drivers to stay at least 3 feet away from bicyclists when passing in the same direction or face a fine starting September 16.
And taking effect January 1, any driver 18 years old or younger may not use wireless devices to read, write or send text-based communications, not even with voice activated or hand-free devices.
DMV, laws, bikes, california news
- 1 dead, 16 injured in East Harlem explosion 7 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos