Police seek suspects in gang rape, beating of UCSB student
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- Authorities are looking for suspects in what they describe as the gang rape and beating of a University of California, Santa Barbara student.
The 19-year-old woman was attacked by several men either late Saturday night or early Sunday morning, Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Kelly Hoover said.
The student was not sure where the attack happened, but it was either on the school's campus or in the neighboring community of Isla Vista, Hoover said. "The group acted together to commit the crime," the spokeswoman said.
The woman was able to return to her residence and tell her roommate. She was then taken to a local hospital for treatment.
There were no known witnesses, and the woman's name was not being released.
On Sunday, sheriff's deputies and UC Santa Barbara police appealed for the public's help.
"It's a very active investigation," Hoover said.
southern california, UC, crime, sex crimes, violence, california news
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos