Police seek suspects in gang rape, beating of UCSB student
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- Authorities are looking for suspects in what they describe as the gang rape and beating of a University of California, Santa Barbara student.
The 19-year-old woman was attacked by several men either late Saturday night or early Sunday morning, Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Kelly Hoover said.
The student was not sure where the attack happened, but it was either on the school's campus or in the neighboring community of Isla Vista, Hoover said. "The group acted together to commit the crime," the spokeswoman said.
The woman was able to return to her residence and tell her roommate. She was then taken to a local hospital for treatment.
There were no known witnesses, and the woman's name was not being released.
On Sunday, sheriff's deputies and UC Santa Barbara police appealed for the public's help.
"It's a very active investigation," Hoover said.
southern california, UC, crime, sex crimes, violence, california news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week 32 min ago
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall 1 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos