TECH BYTES: Honoring fallen soldiers
NEW YORK -- In Monday's Tech Bytes, honoring fallen soldiers on Google Earth on this Memorial Day.
The Google Earth Layer called "Map the Fallen" contains detailed information on more than 5,700 service members who died in the Iiraq and Afghanistan wars. The tool is interactive and allows you to see photos and visit memorial web sites with comments from friends and families.
Pope Benedict is looking to Facebook to woo young people back to the church. The Vatican created a youth oriented site, www.pope2you.net. From there you can link to Pope Benedict's Facebook page. You cannot add the Pope as a friend, or poke him, or write on his wall. But, you can see virtual postcards and messages from the Pope.
The nation's oldest journalism school wants its students to get with the times. The University of Missouri wants all incoming freshman to have handheld devices like iPhones and iPods. The school wants students to use the devices to download lectures or confirm facts from the web while reporting from the field.
And, some new bells and whistles may be on the way for iPod and iPhone users. Reports are Apple's software update, due next month, will feature direct downloads of TV shows and movies. The new software eliminates the need to plug your device into your computer to download movies.
And, more Americans are playing video games than going to the movies. That is what a survey by the entertainment research firm "The NPB Group" found. 63 percent of those questioned said they had played a video game in the last six months. Only 53 percent said they had gone to a movie. Video games account for one-third of the average consumers entertainment budget, according to NPD.
- Secret Service investigating Target hack 4 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope 28 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Journals show students' despair, hope
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos