Drive To Discover
BarBots square off at cocktail festival
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The 3rd Annual BarBot Festival was recently held in San Francisco.
"They're all fun," says David Calkins, Co-Organizer of the BarBot Festival.
"They're so different, you know. Some of them are very functional, so you can walk up and get a drink like that. Others are very personality based. So Chapek will give you smart-ass comments."
Chapek the robot asks us, "Would you ever date a robot?"
"Some of them sling a drink all the way down the bar," adds Calkins.
The scene took place this week at DNA Lounge on 11th Street in San Francisco -- a launch party for Robo Games, the World's largest robot competition, to be held in San Mateo in April.
"It's fun. Everybody likes robots, and everybody likes a good cocktail. So why not mix the two? You get to hang out with cool technology, and get a drink.," said Calkins.
Shotbot is a barbot made entirely from off-the-shelf Lego parts. Bartendro, makes a mean Black Russian.
Robert Kaye, the inventor, told attendees, "We like building interesting bots. But, at the same time, we're actually very seriously considering a version 2.0 of this that we're intending to sell, possibly for conference operators."
For a White Russian, talk to Drink Making Unit.
Lenore Edman explains, "We hadn't done a cocktail robot before, so we thought it'd be a good opportunity to try this particular genre."
With the help of three breast milk pumps!
Cosmobot makes, you guessed it, Cosmos -- with a Sci Fi twist.
Chassis is a waiter, too, available for parties.
But a real bartender does more than mix drinks; he listens to you.
Tell Chapek, "Boy, you wouldn't believe the day I had, and he replies: "Tough day, buddy? How about some hair of the dog?"
Robogames will be held at the San Mateo Fairgrounds, the last weekend in April.
drive to discover
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire