Apple sells over 300,000 iPads on debut
PALO ALTO, CA (KGO) -- The lines on iPad's big launch translated into real numbers Monday. Apple says it sold 300,000 iPads on Day 1. One survey found 74 percent of those buying the company's latest product are already Mac owners.
"I flipped everything to Apple last year and it's just as advertised and I plan to give it to my wife," Marty Chuck said.
Apple announced Monday that iPad users downloaded 1 million apps on launch day and more than 250,000 million e-books.
The early rave reviews also come with scattered complaints about poor Wi-Fi connections and heat related timeouts when the tablet is used in a warm and sunny setting.
Tech analyst Larry Magid has not experienced those issues, but says not having Flash support makes it impossible to watch most web-based videos.
"I couldn't get a lot of information I wanted to get to over the weekend because of its lack of Flash support and that bothered me," Magid said.
The iPad is clearly not for everyone. ABC7 found a Kindle owner who prefers her e-reader to the more expensive and colorful Apple offering.
"So, for my needs, this is a really good tool for someone else who wants a million apps, then maybe that's a better tool," Susan Tunis said.
Apple touts its iPad as revolutionary and now that it is in the hands of consumers, many of them are echoing the mantra.
"It has fabulous quick processor, great graphics, it's the platform of the future," Lou Pambianco said.
Analysts say the iPad's successful launch could redefine the tablet as the new must-have gadget.
apple, steve jobs, cupertino, e-books, cell phone, iPad, retail, video game, kindle, technology, karina rusk
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos