Daily deal sites venture into luxury packages
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Daily-deal sites like Groupon and Livingsocial are going upscale. The sites, which began with basic deals like free drinks or yoga sessions, are now targeting buyers willing to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on travel and high-end goods.
Last month, Livingsocial offered a $10,000 coupon for a penthouse package at the Fairmont Hotel. The deal generated more than $1 million for the site.
Groupon says it has begun offering high-end hotel rooms, airfare discounts, cruise specials and wine tastings.
groupon, internet, technology
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
59 min ago