Daily deal sites venture into luxury packages
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Daily-deal sites like Groupon and Livingsocial are going upscale. The sites, which began with basic deals like free drinks or yoga sessions, are now targeting buyers willing to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on travel and high-end goods.
Last month, Livingsocial offered a $10,000 coupon for a penthouse package at the Fairmont Hotel. The deal generated more than $1 million for the site.
Groupon says it has begun offering high-end hotel rooms, airfare discounts, cruise specials and wine tastings.
groupon, internet, technology
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found 27 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs 56 min ago
- Thousands protest ahead of Fukushima anniversary 39 min ago
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible 27 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts 15 min ago
- Footage examined to ID two with stolen...
2 min ago