Daily deal sites venture into luxury packages
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Daily-deal sites like Groupon and Livingsocial are going upscale. The sites, which began with basic deals like free drinks or yoga sessions, are now targeting buyers willing to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on travel and high-end goods.
Last month, Livingsocial offered a $10,000 coupon for a penthouse package at the Fairmont Hotel. The deal generated more than $1 million for the site.
Groupon says it has begun offering high-end hotel rooms, airfare discounts, cruise specials and wine tastings.
groupon, internet, technology
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive 48 min ago
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University 22 min ago
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Fresno police seek suspects in teacher's shooting 2 min ago
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday