Android voice command modeled on Star Trek voice
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Apple's voice-activated assistant Siri is about to get some competition from Google. Google is said to be working on a similar feature for Android phones called Majel.
It could be released in just a few weeks.
The application is named after actress Majel Barrett-Roddenberry.
Her name may not be familiar to you, but maybe her voice is. Majel was the voice of the Starship Enterprise on all six versions of the Star Trek TV series. She was also married to Star Trek creator Gene Rodenberry.
The Majel app reportedly will upgrade Android's Voice Actions app, which lets users make calls, get directions and perform searches.
google, android, cellphone, smartphones, television, technology
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- Freeze Warning in place for most of the Bay Area
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Deputy who fatally shot Andy Lopez to return to work
- 5 displaced in two-alarm apartment fire in Alameda
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday