Survey: 6 million phones activated over Christmas
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Many people received new cell phones as holiday gifts as new phone activation shattered the old record.
The mobile research group Flurry estimates 6.8 million Android and Apple iPhones were activated on Christmas Day, about four million more than were activated on the same day in 2010.
Google claims 3.7 million phones were activated on Dec. 24 and 25.
Consumers activated 3.8 million iPhone, iPod and iPads on Christmas Day alone.
Apple expected to have one billion app downloads between Christmas and New Year's Day.
iPad, iPod, iphone, android, christmas, technology
- Fatal crash blocks lanes of I-580 in Livermore
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'... 37 min ago
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack 25 min ago
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual
- Vallejo police ID two most recent homicide victims
- FCC considers lifting ban on in-flight cellphone use 12 min ago
- Instagram launches direct messaging feature
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Copper wiring theft; "Shop With a Cop"
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos