Survey: 6 million phones activated over Christmas
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Many people received new cell phones as holiday gifts as new phone activation shattered the old record.
The mobile research group Flurry estimates 6.8 million Android and Apple iPhones were activated on Christmas Day, about four million more than were activated on the same day in 2010.
Google claims 3.7 million phones were activated on Dec. 24 and 25.
Consumers activated 3.8 million iPhone, iPod and iPads on Christmas Day alone.
Apple expected to have one billion app downloads between Christmas and New Year's Day.
iPad, iPod, iphone, android, christmas, technology
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest 26 min ago
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum 20 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in... 5 min ago
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area home prices steadily rising
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos