Survey: 6 million phones activated over Christmas
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Many people received new cell phones as holiday gifts as new phone activation shattered the old record.
The mobile research group Flurry estimates 6.8 million Android and Apple iPhones were activated on Christmas Day, about four million more than were activated on the same day in 2010.
Google claims 3.7 million phones were activated on Dec. 24 and 25.
Consumers activated 3.8 million iPhone, iPod and iPads on Christmas Day alone.
Apple expected to have one billion app downloads between Christmas and New Year's Day.
iPad, iPod, iphone, android, christmas, technology
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- PayPal hopes new smartphone app will replace wallet
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- 7 On Your Side: Save on summer vacation flights
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Woman's cremated ashes washed away in fire
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- Search continues for man after Bay to Breakers
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday