Launch of Apple's iPhone 4S turns into chaos in China
BEIJING, China (KGO) -- The launch of Apple's iPhone 4S turned into chaos in China.
An angry crowd shouted and threw eggs at the Beijing store when it didn't open for the overseas release of the new iPhone.
Thousands of people waited overnight for hours in the freezing cold only to be told the store would not open due to safety concerns.
Witnesses say many of the people were placeholders who were paid $15 U.S. dollars to wait in line overnight for scalpers.
apple, iphone, china, technology
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos