Pope amassing Twitter followers ahead of first tweet
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- It only took a few hours Monday morning for Pope Benedict XVI to become a big celebrity on Twitter.
The Vatican officially launched the pope's new personal Twitter account Monday morning. His tweets won't start until next week, but he already has over 222,000 followers.
The Vatican chose the Twitter handle @Pontifex, "pope" in Latin.
Benedict won't personally send every message, but he'll have them all his seal of approval before they go out.
pope, twitter, social media, religion, technology
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- Newark police investigate officer-involved shooting 33 min ago
- Police investigate shootings that hospitalized two men 16 min ago
- FEMA to fund removal of trees from East Bay Hills
- Credit card skimming devices found at 2 gas stations 5 min ago
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- Grenade found in San Jose garage detonated safely
- abcnews: Rumor: Beyonce pregnant with 2nd child
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Bay to Breakers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday