Pope amassing Twitter followers ahead of first tweet
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- It only took a few hours Monday morning for Pope Benedict XVI to become a big celebrity on Twitter.
The Vatican officially launched the pope's new personal Twitter account Monday morning. His tweets won't start until next week, but he already has over 222,000 followers.
The Vatican chose the Twitter handle @Pontifex, "pope" in Latin.
Benedict won't personally send every message, but he'll have them all his seal of approval before they go out.
pope, twitter, social media, religion, technology
- Fatal crash closes WB I-580 lanes in Livermore 18 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase 20 min ago
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- BART and unions to meet today over contract
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- Gridlock in the Senate, progress in the House
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Inside look at SF Ballet's 'Nutcracker'
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos