Facebook offers messaging to broader set of users
Menlo Park-based Facebook is offering a new product to consumers that has nothing to do with Facebook. The company is launching a messaging app for users of Android phones.
Anyone who chooses to sign up to the service using just their name and phone number can begin sending messages through the new app.
Facebook hopes to reach a larger audience -- people who aren't already logged onto its site. The new product is being rolled out in five countries worldwide, but isn't available in the U.S. yet.
facebook, apps, menlo park, android, technology
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos