Facebook offers messaging to broader set of users
Menlo Park-based Facebook is offering a new product to consumers that has nothing to do with Facebook. The company is launching a messaging app for users of Android phones.
Anyone who chooses to sign up to the service using just their name and phone number can begin sending messages through the new app.
Facebook hopes to reach a larger audience -- people who aren't already logged onto its site. The new product is being rolled out in five countries worldwide, but isn't available in the U.S. yet.
facebook, apps, menlo park, android, technology
- BART'S top cop to have auditor assess reforms
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions
- Alameda County Fair opens with new food, new rides
- Hundreds allowed back home after Calif. wildfire 1 min ago
- Tesla Model S recall for rear seat latch issue
- South SF husband and wife charged with pimping 52 min ago
- 10 people charged after sit-in at AT&T Park 25 min ago
- AMA now recognizes obesity as a disease 29 min ago
- Police enforcing pedestrian safety in San Mateo Co.
- Tropical Storm Barry forms off Mexican coast 37 min ago
- Oakland theater to host "Fruitvale Station" screening 24 min ago
- abcnews: Pope invites Down syndrome teen for a spin 23 min ago
- roundup: Controlled burn; Carjacking arrests 9 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday