Facebook offers messaging to broader set of users
Menlo Park-based Facebook is offering a new product to consumers that has nothing to do with Facebook. The company is launching a messaging app for users of Android phones.
Anyone who chooses to sign up to the service using just their name and phone number can begin sending messages through the new app.
Facebook hopes to reach a larger audience -- people who aren't already logged onto its site. The new product is being rolled out in five countries worldwide, but isn't available in the U.S. yet.
facebook, apps, menlo park, android, technology
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- What's next for Candlestick Point? 20 min ago
- Kitten stolen from San Francisco shelter
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to 59 min ago
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos