Macworld 2013 explodes on the scene
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- One of the biggest tech conventions in the world is underway in San Francisco. Macworld is taking place at the city's Moscone Center where tens of thousands of fans showed up to check out vendors selling every Apple product you can imagine.
There was an iPhone app called "Jam," developed by one of the companies vying for attention.
You'll see everything from pro camera products to solar charging devices and $2,000 tele-presence robot that uses an iPad, giving you eyes and ears anywhere in the world.
There are apps for the aspiring animator, including one featured on "Jimmy Kimmel Live." The apps and the accessories that are the stars of the show, but for decades, it was Apple's own innovations that took center stage at Macworld.
Two decades ago, Apple used Macworld to launch the Newton, its biggest failure ever. However, many years later, the company introduced its biggest success, the iPhone.
Professor and analyst Paul Saffo remembers when Apple's late co-founder Steve Jobs used to unveil life-changing products in charismatic keynotes. "If you look at the history of Apple, when Steve's at Apple, it does great, when Steve leaves it gets into trouble," Saffo said. "Steve comes back, it does great. Steve just left the house."
For now, the big innovators might just be the little guys.
apple, steve jobs, soma, iPad, iPod, technology, jonathan bloom
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield
- Richmond postpones suing Chevron over refinery fire
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado
- Cause of grass fire in San Jose under investigation
- Safety recommendations released for America's Cup 26 min ago
- Immigrant families disappointed by Feinstein's vote
- Surprise sting targets passenger vehicles at SFO
- Super Bowl 50 bid committee returns to Bay Area
- Dealers in training ahead of new casino opening
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
- Homeless woman defies odds, graduates from UOP
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Crissy Field art; Richmond shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Second fire sparks in South San Jose
29 min ago
- Safety recommendations released for...
26 min ago