Jobs aplenty at GDC's Career Pavilion in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Between the sounds of gunfire and the young women with light sabers, there's a more serious purpose for some of the 22,000 at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.
The GDC's Career Pavilion was packed with companies like Microsoft and Sony looking for razor sharp professionals. And yes, even students.
The seasoned pros say the Career Pavilion was the biggest and busiest it's ever been. Experts say the explosive growth is partly because games are recession proof. Hour for hour, they're one of the cheapest forms of entertainment. But there's also another reason -- it turns out more people are playing video games than ever before.
"Gamers are hanging on longer to gaming," Riot Games spokesperson Vladimir Cole said. "It used to be that a guy would hit 30 and have family responsibilities and say, 'I need to give up my toys.' But now actually the average gamer is 30-years-old, and men and women are playing games."
Cole says in part, that's because games have gotten more interesting. They're not just about shooting or jumping anymore. Technology has let them become more like interactive movies or cartoons.
And all those new players mean one thing, "We're looking for artists, we're looking for producers, we're looking for engineers and software guys," Cole said. "Pretty much name it and we're looking for that sort of person."
video game, moscone center, gadgets, jobs, unemployment, technology, jonathan bloom
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...