New gold colored iPhone 5S sells out quickly
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- iPhone lovers may not have found gold at the end of the line. The very popular color sold out quickly when the new phone went on sale Friday morning.
From the darkness on University Avenue in downtown Palo Alto came a beacon of light from a four inch screen.
By the time the Apple Store opened at 8 a.m., more than 250 people were in line, waiting for a chance to get a new iPhone 5S or 5C.
"It's very exciting to be with all these other people who are filled with energy for the iPhone 5S, said Mountain View resident Alexis Bondch.
Free coffee energized the crowd, and so did a visit from Tim Cook. The Apple CEO shook hands with some of the company's most loyal customers and said he was impressed with the turnout.
When asked what he thought about the line, Cook said, "I love it."
"It's great, it's a good experience, I got to shake Tim Cook's hand," Lafayette resident John Stephens said.
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak was at a store in Los Gatos Thursday night where he bought doughnuts for the people waiting in line.
The biggest disappointment was a lack of the higher end 5S devices in the gold color. Only a handful of people were given a card, allowing them to buy it. The breaking point in line was, ironically, a tale of two Josh's; one with gold, the other wishing he'd gotten here a little earlier.
"Well they just let us know a couple minutes ago that they ran out of all the gold," Josh Bobb said. "That's the one that I'd been in line since seven last night for. So, looks like I'm going to get a white one instead."
When asked if he'd consider selling his new gold iPhone, Joshua Bautista said, "Maybe if the price is right."
In the end, the customers were treated like superstars when they entered the store; but when they exited the store the hype was over, and all that's left to do is spend a little alone time with the real star of the day.
"It's great, it feels amazing right now," Fitzgerald Geonzon said while showing off his near Gold iPhone 5S.
The iPhone 5C starting at $99 has been available for preorder for a few days. The 5S went on sale online at midnight, but they have to be shipped and that can take several days.
apple, iphone, smartphones, cellphone, steve jobs, gadgets, steve wozniak, tim cook, palo alto, technology, matt keller
- Freeze Warning expires; chilly temperatures remain
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Bay Bridge lanes re-opened after multi-vehicle crash
- US unemployment falls to 7 pct. on 203K jobs added
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Parents sound off on baby seat with iPad-holder
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need 20 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting 11 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos