Rumors swirl over possible Google barge in San Francisco Bay
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Internet is still abuzz over a secretive barge located at Treasure Island.
The barge can easily be seen from the new Bay Bridge. It stands four stories high and is stacked with shipping containers.
Reports indicate it was built by Google, but the company won't confirm or deny it.
Techies point to a patent Google published in 2009 for a floating data center. It uses waves for power and sea water for cooling.
A similar barge has been spotted in Portland, Maine.
google, san francisco bay, technology
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos