Rumors swirl over possible Google barge in San Francisco Bay
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Internet is still abuzz over a secretive barge located at Treasure Island.
The barge can easily be seen from the new Bay Bridge. It stands four stories high and is stacked with shipping containers.
Reports indicate it was built by Google, but the company won't confirm or deny it.
Techies point to a patent Google published in 2009 for a floating data center. It uses waves for power and sea water for cooling.
A similar barge has been spotted in Portland, Maine.
google, san francisco bay, technology
- SF firefighters continue to monitor 5-alarm fire 45 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos