Consumer Electronics Show kicks off in Las Vegas
If the Bay Area seems a little empty after the holidays, it may be because tech industry is spending this week in Las Vegas at the annual Consumer Electronics Show. CES hasn't officially started yet but the show is already bustling.
Crews are setting up booths in the exhibit halls and companies are giving sneak peeks at their latest creations.
There are eye-catching curved televisions, but they may have some bugs to work out. There are Ultra-HD sets - a super sharp picture some call the future of TV. Of course, people said that about 3D TVs a few years ago.
People are also buzzing about drones.
Some of the drones come from Silicon Valley startups. There are twice as many startups at CES as just a couple years ago.
Some are excited over the tiniest wearable technology and some is over the biggest gadget of all, cars.
Audi showed off a car that drives itself - up to 40 miles an hour, as long as you don't have to change lanes. It's a work in progress. Meanwhile, Chevy is turning automobiles into a 4G hotspot. And the latest Corvette shoots HD video.
General Motors and Audi are working with Google to build cars that run Android, the smartphone operating system.
computers, television, las vegas, google, android, silicon valley, technology, jonathan bloom
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta 32 min ago
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Drought prompts officials to release water...
32 min ago