Around the Bay
Check back here each week for new community events we're sponsoring.
Under One Roof
Enjoy the beauty and warmth of the holidays when you shop at Under One Roof stores! 100% of the profits support local HIV/AIDS and LGBT community organizations.
Under One Roof offers productive opportunities for volunteers, and secures corporate and individual donations to support these important causes. For about 85% of the items we sell, we purchase wholesale merchandise, and sell these items via our retail outlets. Approximately 15% of our items are donated by retailers and vendors, the proceeds of which help cover our operating costs. We also raise funds by sponsoring a variety of special events!
After covering our operating expenses, we distribute 100% of our profits back to our participating agencies, allowing them unrestricted use to support operating expenses, staff or client support -- a significant benefit in an era of diminished public sector funding.
Created in 1991, Under One Roof was the first operation of its kind to donate 100% of retail-generated profits to needy organizations serving the AIDS community. Over the years, Under One Roof has sold over $11 million in merchandise and donated over $4 million to local charities that provide critical help to San Francisco Bay Area men, women, and children living with or impacted by HIV/AIDS and other diseases.
Crocker Galleria, 50 Post Street, San Francisco
541 Castro Street, San Francisco
Join Goodwill for a festive "Donate-A-Thon" on New Year's Eve! Your tax-deductible goods will help job programs that give local residents a path out of poverty. Cheer SF cheerleader performance will kick-off Goodwill's annual Donate-A-Thon drive. It's a block party to thank donors, fund job programs, and celebrate the more than 600 job placements achieved by Goodwill this year.
Donors will be treated to a Cheer SF performance, live house music, uniformed bell hop service, red carpet photo booth, free snacks, and movie and SF Zoo ticket giveaways all to support job training and placement programs for local people in need of a second chance.
Donating to Goodwill on New Year's Eve is becoming an annual tradition for families. Goodwill's Mission Street donation drop is transforming into a donation sensation party on the busiest donation day of the day.
This is the last day of the year to get a tax receipt for donated goods. More than 21 million pounds of materials were diverted from local landfills this year.
Tuesday, December 31, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Goodwill Truckyard, 1500 Mission Street (between 10th & 11th), San Francisco
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley 48 min ago
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Mother, toddler endure violent home invasion robbery 43 min ago
- Pope Francis visits Rome children's hospital 21 min ago
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Fresno police seek suspects in teacher's shooting
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday