Resources for seniors
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Here are some community and Internet resources for seniors or loved ones looking to assist their relatives:
- Institute on Aging
The Institute on Aging (IOA) is the Bay Area's most comprehensive senior services agency. Working with older adults needing varying degrees of care, the IOA's mission is to help seniors live independently in the community. Its full range of programs and services assist older adults and their families with daily activities, medical care, and emotional needs.
- Senior Job Bank
It's a non-profit online job database for workers age 50 and older.
- Age of Reason
A Web site geared towards people 50 and over and provides practical information relevant to older people's lifestyles.
- Green Thumb
America's oldest and largest provider of mature and disadvantaged worker training and employment.
- Care Guide
A care management company dedicated to helping people at every stage of the aging process lead more comfortable, secure and independent lives. Through our national network of care managers, toll-free Support Center and Web site, CareGuide provides families with everything they need to assess, plan, manage and monitor the best care for their loved ones.
The nonprofit SeniorNet provides adults 50+ access to and education about computer technology and the Internet to enhance their lives and enable them to share their knowledge and wisdom.
- Self Help for the Elderly
Provides social services and hot meals to low-income and isolated elderly.
- United Way's Help Line
Call for information about organizations in the entire Bay Area.
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos