Beyond the Headlines: Unemployment
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
Watch Sundays at 10:00 AM for new episodes.
Episode: February 22, 2009
Show topic: Unemployment Resources
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
Watch the complete episode in the media player above, or by clicking on the links below:
This week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines" focuses on the growing unemployment crisis that so many Bay Area residents are facing. California's unemployment rate is now at 9.3% - the highest it's been in almost 15 years. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the national unemployment rate in metropolitan areas as of December 2008 was 7.1%. Locally, the San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont region had a comparable rate of 7.0%, while the South Bay (San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara) seems hardest hit at the moment with a rate of 7.8%.
Finding a job in this economy can be a daunting task. Learn about some of the FREE services available around the Bay Area that can help with the job search and refine your skills through organizations like East Bay WORKS and One Stop Career Link Centers in San Francisco. These same services are also helping employers find the perfect employee.
We'll also discuss the impact of the recession and resulting layoffs on the disability community. One man will share his personal story of his struggle to find work after being laid off and support his family. And we'll learn how an organization known as Toolworks has helped to find and create work for thousands of people with disabilities.
And, finally, get some great tips from a career expert on how you can increase your chances of landing the job you need and want during this tough job market.
Assistant Administrator, East Bay WORKS
One Stop Services Coordinator, One Stop Career Link Centers, San Francisco
Director of Employment Services, Toolworks
Job Developer, Toolworks
Toolworks Client & Unemployed Construction Worker
(NOTE: If interested in hiring Armando, please contact Hasian Sinaga via the contact info above.)
LinkedIn Career Expert
Goodwill of San Francisco, San Mateo & Marin
San Francisco One Stop Career Link Center Locations:
1) Goodwill Career Link
1500 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
2) Civic Center Career Link
801 Turk Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
3) Western Addition Career link
1449 Webster Street
San Francisco, CA 94115
4) Southeast Career Link
1800 Oakdale Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94124
5) Chinatown Career Link
777 Stockton Street
San Francisco, CA 94108
6) Mission Career Link
3120 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting