Beyond the Headlines: Heart Disease
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
Topic: Heart disease
February 14, 2010
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's episode takes a look at the disease that kills the most americans every year. It's heart disease, and closely related... "stroke" is our nation's number three killer.
According to the American Heart Association:
- About 81.1 million people in the United States are living with cardiovascular disease,
- 6.4 million have had a stroke.
Heart disease is especially serious for women, who die of heart disease more than any other illness. In 2005, it killed more than 450,000 women, compared to all cancer deaths of less than 270,000 that year.
The risk of heart disease and stroke increases with age. 23% of women at age 40, compared to 18% of men, will die within one year after a heart attack.
Asians and South Asians are especially affected by heart disease. UCSF's Asian Heart and Vascular Center, as well as El Camino Hospital's South Asian Heart Center and its satellite locations, address this need.
Gordon Fung, MD, PhD
UCSF Professor of Medicine, Cardiology Department
Medical Director, Asian Heart and Vascular Center
Heart Disease Patient
Executive Director, South Asian Heart Center, El Camino Hospital
Nutritionist, Food Scientist
Scarlet Night: March 20th Gala
Benefiting South Asian Heart Center
San Jose Convention Center, 150 W. San Carlos Street, San Jose
6:00 to 11:30 p.m.
El Camino Hospital
Heart & Vascular Institute
Dial 2-1-1 for local social service resources
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma tornado 2 min ago
- Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
- Man goes missing after Bay to Breakers race
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- NFL owners to announce Super Bowl 50 host city
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
8 min ago