Mark D. Smith, MD
Dr. Mark Smith is president and chief executive officer of the California HealthCare Foundation.
The Foundation is an independent philanthropy with assets of more than $900 million, headquartered in Oakland, California, and dedicated to improving the health of the people of California through its three program areas: Better Chronic Disease Care, Innovations for the Underserved, and Market and Policy Monitor.
A board-certified internist, Smith is a member of the clinical faculty at the University of California, San Francisco, and an attending physician at the Positive Health Program for AIDS care at San Francisco General Hospital. He is a member of the Institute of Medicine and serves on the board of the National Business Group on Health.
Prior to joining the California HealthCare Foundation, Smith was executive vice president at the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. He previously served as associate director of the AIDS Services and assistant professor of medicine and of health policy and management at Johns Hopkins University. He has served on the Performance Measurement Committee of the National Committee for Quality Assurance and the editorial board of the Annals of Internal Medicine.
Smith received a bachelor's degree in Afro-American studies from Harvard College, a medical doctorate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a master's in business, with a concentration in health care administration, from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
african american salutes 2010, community
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school 43 min ago
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained 37 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
15 min ago
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos