Profiles of Excellence (March 2010)
"Profiles of Excellence" is an Emmy Award-winning series produced by the ABC7 Public Affairs Department to celebrate the Bay Area's rich cultural diversity. For the past 22 years, the program has been featuring local residents who have made important contributions to the community.Hosted by ABC7 News Anchor Kristen Sze, "Profiles of Excellence" features five truly impressive individuals.
California School For The Deaf: Our first profile features a distinguished California institution that has created a legacy of 150 years. The California School For The Deaf has offered generations of deaf students an exceptional education. Led by Superintendent Dr. Henry Klopping, the dedicated staff at CSD empowers all students to develop confidence, discipline, and leadership.
>> Website: http://www.csdf.k12.ca.us/
>> Watch video Rona Popal: Our next profile looks at the needs of the growing Afghan population in Fremont. As Executive Director of The Afghan Coalition, Rona Popal works diligently to make sure that new immigrants from Afghanistan have the support and services they need to thrive in the United States.
>> Website: http://www.afghancoalition.org/
>> Watch video Duane Cramer: Our next profile introduces us to Duane Cramer, a celebrated photographer who uses his personal story and his art to educate communities around the country about HIV and AIDS.
>> Website: http://duanecramer.com/
>> Watch video Philip Choy: Our next profile highlights the octogenarian who has led a lifetime of community activism. Philip Choy has been recognized as a leading expert of Chinese American history for decades. At 83-years-old, he continues to volunteer at the Chinese Historical Society of America and help preserve the Chinese American experience for generations to come.
>> Website: http://www.chsa.org/
>> Watch video Maria Luisa Colmenarez: Our final profile highlights a woman who shares her passion for traditional Mexican dance with hundreds each year at the annual Danzantes Unidos Festival. It's a celebration of culture, heritage, and folklorico, led by Maria Luisa Colmenarez.
>> Website: http://www.danzantes.org/
>> Watch video
San Mateo County History Museum is the backdrop of our special program. Housed in the old San Mateo County Courthouse, the county's rich heritage is preserved in the History Museum. A wide variety of exhibits chronicles the development of San Mateo's rich and colorful history. Recently voted "The Perfect Family Outing," the museum's interactive displays and learning tools keep both the young and old actively engaged.
- The galleries showcase the area's natural resources, and how transportation has shaped the development of the peninsula.
- We also see how diverse groups of immigrants have shaped San Mateo County's vibrant culture
- And, local entrepreneurs whose innovations in finance, technology, and bio-tech have changed our daily lives.
>> Profiles of Excellence main page
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos