Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
July 25, 2010
At-Risk Youth - Crime
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's "Beyond the Headlines" looks at at-risk youth and preventing crime. We highlight ways in which we can all get involved in our communities to make our neighborhoods a safer, crime-free place.
We also consider the benefits of getting youth involved in community programs as a means of rehabilitation, rather than relying on youth incarceration. Successful Bay Area programs, like "The Phoenix Project of Marin" and "Old Skool Café," reach out to at-risk youth and provide them with opportunities and a place to belong.
Berkeley Center for Criminal Justice
Creator and Director, The Phoenix Project of Marin
Executive Director, County of Marin Housing Authority
Founder, Oldskool Cafe
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin 1 min ago
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF 50 min ago
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos