4th Annual Operation 7: Save a Life
ABC7 is proud to once again team up with Bay Area fire departments and our partners, Kidde, and The Home Depot, for Operation 7: Save a Life; a life-saving program designed to increase public awareness of fire and Carbon Monoxide (CO) dangers, and now a part of ABC7's Prepare NorCal initiative.
Fire fatalities are often preventable through education and the use of working smoke detectors, a message that will be one of the focal points when ABC7's Operation 7: Save A Life campaign kicks off on Monday, November 11, 2013.
Additionally, the campaign will focus on Carbon Monoxide awareness to coincide with the new state law now in effect that requires CO Alarms in California homes that have fuel-burning appliances or an attached garage. Carbon Monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America, killing 400 and injuring more than 20,000 each year. You cannot see, smell or taste carbon monoxide. The only safe way to detect this poisonous gas is with a working carbon monoxide alarm.
As part of the campaign, Operation 7: Save A Life, along with The Home Depot, donated thousands of Kidde-brand smoke alarms to participating fire departments in conjunction with the Santa Clara County Fire Department on November 13. The fire departments that received the donations include; Oakland Fire Department, San Francisco Fire Department, Menlo Park Fire Protection District, San Jose Fire Department, and Santa Clara County Fire Department.
Plan for a safer home with these suggestions on how to prevent a fire and keep your family safe from Carbon Monoxide:
- Home Fire Safety Tips
- Fire Safety/ FAQs
- Smoke Detectors Could Save Your Life
- Carbon Monoxide Questions and Answers
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) Dangers
For more information on California's law, CO safety and how to protect your family, visit www.CASafeHomes.org.
Being prepared is the key to surviving a disaster, and Prepare NorCal was created to help our Bay Area viewers be prepared. ABC7 has gathered resources and tips to make it easier for you to access preparedness information all in one place. Click here
operation 7: save a life, fire safety, community
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 34 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland 47 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 8 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter 11 min ago
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday