Joanna M. Farris
Joanna M. Farris is a long time volunteer and community leader. She earned her Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. Currently, Ms. Farris is acting president of The African American Culture Center of Silicon Valley and Executive Director of the African American Community Service Agency. Professionally, Ms. Farris is retired as Assistant Vice President/ Sales Manager of a local San Jose Bank.
Ms. Farris has been involved in writing many grants and fund raising events to support the agency. She has been instrumental in establishing youth education programs, Summer Science Day Camp for kids, Holiday programs for senior and youth activities. In addition, Ms. Farris has been a long time event coordinator for the San Jose Juneteenth Festival.
Through Ms. Farris's leadership, AACSA has collaborated with the 100 Black men of Silicon Valley for Career Choices and Opportunity Programs and participated in the Downtown Art Program. Along with reopening the Inez Jackson Research library, the AACSA has collaborated with the New Vision Church to serve Sunday breakfast for the homeless. Other collaborations include: Fire and Ice Ski Club and Garden City Women Club of San Jose. Ms. Farris has done extensive community work through Santa Clara County. She is a member and has served two years as a Worthy Matron for the Observatory Chapter #30, Order of the Eastern Star, Prince hall Rite of adoption for the state of California, Grand Co- Chairman for Sickle Cell Foundation, Grand Committee for the United Negro College Fund and has raised funds for the American Cancer Association for Breast Cancer. Ms. Farris has served as a member of the Santa Clara County Council on Equal Employment Opportunity- District 3, Santa Clara County Tobacco Coalition, American Business Women Association, Women and Men in Business, and South Bay Book Club. She is also a member of the Antioch Baptist Church and has served two years as a member of the Trustee Board. Along with being long time member of San Jose/ Silicon Valley NAACP, Ms Farris is also the recipient of the NAACP Freedom Fighter Award and KNTV Channel 11 San Jose Sprit of Excellence Award.
african american salutes 2011, community
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge 10 min ago
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 36 min ago
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos