Profiles of Excellence (March 2011)
"Profiles of Excellence" is an Emmy Award-winning series produced by the ABC7 Public Affairs Department to celebrate the Bay Area's rich cultural diversity. For the past 23 years, the program has been featuring local residents who have made important contributions to the community.Hosted by ABC7 News Anchor Janelle Wang, "Profiles of Excellence" features five truly impressive individuals.
>> Watch full episode David Vargas: Our first profile highlights a man who works tirelessly to celebrate his connection to the native peoples of Mexico. David Vargas created the Tezkatlipoka Aztec Dance & Drum company in order to keep ancient traditions alive today.
>> Website: www.tezkatlipoka.com Anni Chung: Our next profile introduces us to the woman who's been at the forefront of Self Help For The Elderly for the past 30 years. With a variety of services that cater to the needs of seniors, Anni Chung is making sure that none of our elders are left behind.
>> Website: www.selfhelpelderly.org Rebecca Rolfe: Our next profile introduces us to a woman who believes in standing up for her community. Under the guidance of Rebecca Rolfe, the San Francisco LGBT Community Center embraces people from all over the country seeking a warm welcome and a smile.
>> Website: www.sfcenter.org Erik Nation: Our next profile is about an Oakland man who spent 15 years selling drugs, and eventually went to jail. Soon after he got out, Erik Nation turned his life around. As pastor at the House of Prayer Evangelistic Center, he has vowed to help others change as well.
>> Email: email@example.com Mary Lou Breslin: Our first profile features the woman who co-founded the Disability Rights And Education Defense Fund. Since 1979, Mary Lou Breslin has been an ardent champion of disability rights as a civil rights issue. Her detailed policy work contributed significantly to landmark legislation called The Americans With Disabilities Act.
>> Website: www.dredf.org The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is the backdrop of our special program. In an effort to make modern art meaningful and accessible to everyone, the SF MOMA works hard to provide new and exciting cultural experiences. We'll show you some of the exciting exhibits currently on view. "Helios: Eadward Muybridge In A Time of Change" highlights the unique career of the 19th century photographer. Also on exhibit are "New Works: Anna Parkina" and the design work of Tobias Wong. Each exhibition explores the diverse works of these internationally-renown artists. These and other diverse collections are on display now.
>> Website: www.sfmoma.org
>> Profiles of Excellence main page
- Victim of 2009 Richmond gang rape takes stand
- Muni driver honored for actions after shooting 39 min ago
- City says 'parklet' in Haight-Ashbury must go
- Man arrested after fatal crash in San Jose
- 2 wildfires burning in Central Sierra foothills
- Charges filed against man in naked BART attack
- Caltrain reopens after police talk man off ledge
- Bicyclist struck, killed by hit-and-run driver
- Patient attacks nurse at Napa State Hospital
- SF taxi driver chokes, robs passenger over tip
- Flooding renews call for new Oakland A's stadium
- abcnews: Putin accused of stealing Super Bowl ring
- roundup: Burglaries in Livermore; Cabbie robs fare
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Berkeley teen wins Presidential Scholar award
43 min ago