Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
July 3, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
Have you ever talked to someone who is homeless... a young person or adult? Have you ever been homeless?
Well, today, you're going to meet a young woman who was formerly homeless, who is now running for Miss California. We're going to begin in Marin, the wealthiest county in the state, where there are an estimated 2,600 homeless young people.
It may shock you to learn that there are hundreds of homeless families in the Bay Area. Some are hidden, living in their cars, campers, or staying with families or friends. A large number of homeless include the men and women who serve our country. An estimated 76,000 across the country are homeless veterans.
There are services available that not only provide housing, but also offer help to keep people from winding up homeless again. Like, for example, the Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation, which just celebrated its 30th anniversary of helping families.
Founder, Ambassadors for Hope and Opportunity
Miss California Contestant
Volunteer, Ambassadors for Hope and Opportunity
Director of Programs, Hamilton Family Center
Client, Hamilton Family Center
San Francisco Mayor's Office of Housing
Veteran Homeless Coordinator, US Department of Veteran Affairs
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach 51 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- SUV crashes into gas station in Oakland 26 min ago
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos