Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
July 31, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
Today we're going to talk about a very special and often overlooked part of our community -- young people in foster care.
According to the Public Policy Institute of California, in 2010, about 60,000 children under the age of 18 in California were in foster care. Foster care is temporary for most children, but many do not leave before they become adults when they "age out." These children were removed from their homes because County Child Welfare Departments, in conjunction with Juvenile Dependency Courts, determined that they could no longer live safely with their birth parents.
Our show today will look at some of the issues that these children face, and we'll talk to community leaders who are dedicated to shaping a healthier future for California's foster children.
Chair, California Democratic Party
Former State Senator
Founder, John Burton Foundation for Children Without Homes
Former Foster Youth
President and CEO, EMQ Families First
Executive Director, First Place for Youth
Owner, Sleep Train
Executive Director, Foster A Dream
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Obama's Berlin speech: History raises the stakes
- Fairfield grass fire spreads to nearby motel
- Tenderloin apartment building roof fire extinguished
- Accused naked BART attacker appears in court
- Tesla Model S recall for rear seat latch issue 35 min ago
- Interest rates for subsidized loans may double July 1
- Workers face charges after sit-in at AT&T Park 4 min ago
- Fire burns 50 acres in Benicia
- 6-year-old boy killed by dog in Union City
- Sacramento discusses self-driving car regulations
- SF approves new regulations for food trucks
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: Colma BART fatality; Fatal house fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday