Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
July 31, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
Today we're going to talk about a very special and often overlooked part of our community -- young people in foster care.
According to the Public Policy Institute of California, in 2010, about 60,000 children under the age of 18 in California were in foster care. Foster care is temporary for most children, but many do not leave before they become adults when they "age out." These children were removed from their homes because County Child Welfare Departments, in conjunction with Juvenile Dependency Courts, determined that they could no longer live safely with their birth parents.
Our show today will look at some of the issues that these children face, and we'll talk to community leaders who are dedicated to shaping a healthier future for California's foster children.
Chair, California Democratic Party
Former State Senator
Founder, John Burton Foundation for Children Without Homes
Former Foster Youth
President and CEO, EMQ Families First
Executive Director, First Place for Youth
Owner, Sleep Train
Executive Director, Foster A Dream
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Fatal accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 15 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown 56 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
47 min ago