Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
August 7, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's show talks about the life-saving gift of organ donation. It's an idea that can bring up fear in some people, but to the many patients awaiting a transplant, it's their only hope.
According to the California Transplant Donor Network, as of July 29, 2011, there were over 72,000 active patients on the National Organ Transplant waiting list. The organs in the highest demand are the kidney, liver, and heart. Each one of those numbers is a human life that is trying to hang on until an organ donor can be found. Clearly, the need for possible organ donors is both constant and urgent.
And did you know that organ and tissue donation can involve many parts of the human body -- beyond just the key organs mentioned above? Donations of skin, cartilage, intestines, and nerves are just a few examples of life-saving gifts our bodies can provide.
Join us as we take a look at how anyone can become a donor, at any age.
Anthony C. Robinson
Heart Transplant Recipient & Captain of the Investigative Services Bureau, SFFD
Kidney Donor & Business Reporter, KGO Radio
Community Development Liaison, California Transplant Donor Network
Director of California Operations, SightLife
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case