Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
August 7, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's show talks about the life-saving gift of organ donation. It's an idea that can bring up fear in some people, but to the many patients awaiting a transplant, it's their only hope.
According to the California Transplant Donor Network, as of July 29, 2011, there were over 72,000 active patients on the National Organ Transplant waiting list. The organs in the highest demand are the kidney, liver, and heart. Each one of those numbers is a human life that is trying to hang on until an organ donor can be found. Clearly, the need for possible organ donors is both constant and urgent.
And did you know that organ and tissue donation can involve many parts of the human body -- beyond just the key organs mentioned above? Donations of skin, cartilage, intestines, and nerves are just a few examples of life-saving gifts our bodies can provide.
Join us as we take a look at how anyone can become a donor, at any age.
Anthony C. Robinson
Heart Transplant Recipient & Captain of the Investigative Services Bureau, SFFD
Kidney Donor & Business Reporter, KGO Radio
Community Development Liaison, California Transplant Donor Network
Director of California Operations, SightLife
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael 5 min ago
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight 40 min ago
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery 28 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday