Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
August 21, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines" discusses a very special and often inspiring part of our community, those who have been diagnosed with autism.
According to the organization Talk About Curing Autism, one in every 91 children in the United States has autism. A new case is diagnosed almost every 20 minutes. Today, the economic impact of autism in the U.S. is over $90 billion, and experts say that amount will double in the next decade.
Our show takes a look at some of the issues facing patients with autism and their families, and we'll talk to community leaders who are dedicated to providing fulfilling lives to California's autistic population.
CEO, California Autism Foundation
Employee, Custom Assembly and Packaging Plant
California Autism Foundation
CEO and Founder, Center for Learning and Autism Support Services (CLASS)
Director of Year Round Programs, Camp Krem
In Sonoma, an intentional community is being created to meet the residential needs of young adults with autism. The project will break ground on September 10, 2011.
With increasing national attention on the concern about the aging population of individuals with autism and the rapid increase in autism diagnosis, Sweetwater's solution to the problem is a forward-thinking response to a healthcare crisis.
For more information, please visit http://www.sweetwaterspectrum.org.
Uncork A Better Chance Please join the California Autism Foundation for their annual Wine Tasting Event. There will be wine and beer tastings, hors d' oeuvres, live music provided by Mara Montiel, silent auction, and a raffle!
For more information, please visit http://www.calautism.org/calendar
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ
- Lockdown lifted at Monterey Peninsula College 27 min ago
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday