Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
August 14, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
Welcome to Beyond the Headlines where each week we focus on a different topic affecting people who live and work in the Bay Area. Today's show looks at the importance of environmental stewardship and what each of us could do to live more sustainably.
According to the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery, also known as CalRecycle:
- Californians created about 30.4 million tons of trash last year
- This comes out to 4.5 pounds trash per person a day
The good news is that recycling programs are making a difference. But we still have a ways to go to reduce waste and conserve our natural resources.
Dr. Michael Lee
Professor of Geography and Environmental Studies, Cal State East Bay
Water Conversation Supervisor, East Bay Municipal Utilities District
(East Bay MUD)
Ecology Center of San Francisco (ECOSF)
Energy Upgrade California
Davin Wentworth-Thrasher recommends:
- Composting Resources and Gardening Tips www.gardenfortheenvironment.org
- Golden Gate Gardening: Year-Round Food Gardening in the San Francisco Bay Area and Coastal California by Pam Pierce
- How to Grow More Vegetables: Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine by John Jeavons
Michael Hazinski recommends:
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Freeze warning continues for most of Bay Area
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela 58 min ago
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Man fatally stabbed on East 20th Street in Oakland
- Lane of Highway 101 closed after car crashes into pole
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- National memorial to be held for Nelson...
58 min ago