Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
September 4, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
Today's show looks at something many of us take for granted: the ability to breathe easily.
According to the non-profit collaborative, Regional Asthma Management and Prevention (RAMP):
- Asthma is the most chronic childhood disease.
- 6.8 million children are affected nationwide.
- In California, 1 in 6 children have been diagnosed with asthma. That's 1.5 million kids.
In 2007, children with asthma were admitted in high numbers:
- 63,500 emergency department visits
- 10,600 hospitalizations
The rates in the Bay Area are greater than other parts of the state. Alameda County, in particular, has the second highest hospitalization rates for asthma in California.
Lead Asthma Coordinator, Asthma Start Program
Alameda County Public Health Department
Anne Kelsey Lamb
Director, Regional Asthma Management and Prevention (RAMP)
Dr. Andrew McClintock Greenberg, M.D.
Pulmonologist, Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, Oakland
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion 19 min ago
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- SF policeinvestigating shooting in the Outer Mission 24 min ago
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos