Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
September 4, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
Today's show looks at something many of us take for granted: the ability to breathe easily.
According to the non-profit collaborative, Regional Asthma Management and Prevention (RAMP):
- Asthma is the most chronic childhood disease.
- 6.8 million children are affected nationwide.
- In California, 1 in 6 children have been diagnosed with asthma. That's 1.5 million kids.
In 2007, children with asthma were admitted in high numbers:
- 63,500 emergency department visits
- 10,600 hospitalizations
The rates in the Bay Area are greater than other parts of the state. Alameda County, in particular, has the second highest hospitalization rates for asthma in California.
Lead Asthma Coordinator, Asthma Start Program
Alameda County Public Health Department
Anne Kelsey Lamb
Director, Regional Asthma Management and Prevention (RAMP)
Dr. Andrew McClintock Greenberg, M.D.
Pulmonologist, Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, Oakland
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest 28 min ago
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 11 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 4 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law
- Brentwood police investigate armed robbery spree
- California regulators propose coyote-killing ban
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday