Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
September 25, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Lyanne Melendez
We have a special edition of Beyond the Headlines with Lyanne Melendez sitting in for Cheryl Jennings. In today's show, we've invited three Bay Area leaders to talk about some of the opportunities and challenges facing the local Hispanic community in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the Hispanic population in the US grew 43% since the year 2000. There are now 50.5 million Latinos in the United States, according to the 2010 Census. The massive expansion of the Hispanic population accounted for more than half of the nation's overall growth between 2000 and 2010.
California State Assembly Member
Executive Vice President
Latino Community Foundation
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry 27 min ago
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
27 min ago