Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
September 25, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Lyanne Melendez
We have a special edition of Beyond the Headlines with Lyanne Melendez sitting in for Cheryl Jennings. In today's show, we've invited three Bay Area leaders to talk about some of the opportunities and challenges facing the local Hispanic community in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the Hispanic population in the US grew 43% since the year 2000. There are now 50.5 million Latinos in the United States, according to the 2010 Census. The massive expansion of the Hispanic population accounted for more than half of the nation's overall growth between 2000 and 2010.
California State Assembly Member
Executive Vice President
Latino Community Foundation
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Plane's disappearance result of "deliberate action"
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Death of woman found in home considered homicide
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos