Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
October 2, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines" discusses elder care and our growing population of seniors. A recent report by the Stanford Center on Longevity found that the shift toward an older population has enormous economic, social, and political implications for all of us.
The number of older people, age 65 and over will double over the next 30 years, from 40 million to 80 million. By 2032, there will be more people 65 or older than children under 15. And by 2009, when the youngest baby boomers turn 65, one in five Americans will be over 65, and the percentage of 85 year olds will grow even faster.
Today's guests are community leaders who discuss these issues and show us how to cope in an aging world.
Dr. Patrick Arbore
Director of the Friendship Line
Institute on Aging
Founder and Owner
HOW TO REPORT ELDER ABUSE
Anyone who knows or suspects that an elder or dependent adult is being neglected or abused should immediately report concerns to Adult Protective Services (APS).
Call APS: (415) 355-6700
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"... 40 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday