Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
October 9, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines" discusses severe food sensitivity and the impact they can have on families across the Bay Area.
A recent study found that one in 13 children in the U.S. has some type of food allergy. 40% of those children suffer severe allergic reactions. Typical signs of a food allergy include skin rashes, wheezing, tightness in the throat, or difficulty breathing. If the study proves true, it would mean that an estimated six million U.S. kids have some type of food allergy. Peanuts, milk, and shellfish are the most common sources of allergens.
Today's guests are community leaders who discuss these issues and show us how to live a normal life despite having a food allergy.
Dr. Katherine Gundling
Associate Clinical Professor of Allergy and Immunology
Founder and CEO
Bay Area Allergy Advisory Board
Alison St. Sure
Sure Foods Living
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos