Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
October 9, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines" discusses severe food sensitivity and the impact they can have on families across the Bay Area.
A recent study found that one in 13 children in the U.S. has some type of food allergy. 40% of those children suffer severe allergic reactions. Typical signs of a food allergy include skin rashes, wheezing, tightness in the throat, or difficulty breathing. If the study proves true, it would mean that an estimated six million U.S. kids have some type of food allergy. Peanuts, milk, and shellfish are the most common sources of allergens.
Today's guests are community leaders who discuss these issues and show us how to live a normal life despite having a food allergy.
Dr. Katherine Gundling
Associate Clinical Professor of Allergy and Immunology
Founder and CEO
Bay Area Allergy Advisory Board
Alison St. Sure
Sure Foods Living
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- San Jose suing MLB for not allowing A's to move 38 min ago
- Dixon boy fatally mauled by dog in Union City
- One dead in Sunnyvale house fire on Central Avenue
- Victim of 2009 Richmond gang rape takes stand
- Police ID Boulevard Burger armed robbery suspect 13 min ago
- Colma BART station reopened after fatality
- 7 construction workers, firefighter hurt in SF General fire
- Motorcyclist hospitalized after SF Hwy 101 crash
- Authorities: Unattended campfire caused Calif. fire
- Intel chief: NSA foiled dozens of terrorist plots
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: SF hospital fire; SF Giants unveil cafe 42 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday