Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
October 9, 2011
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines" discusses severe food sensitivity and the impact they can have on families across the Bay Area.
A recent study found that one in 13 children in the U.S. has some type of food allergy. 40% of those children suffer severe allergic reactions. Typical signs of a food allergy include skin rashes, wheezing, tightness in the throat, or difficulty breathing. If the study proves true, it would mean that an estimated six million U.S. kids have some type of food allergy. Peanuts, milk, and shellfish are the most common sources of allergens.
Today's guests are community leaders who discuss these issues and show us how to live a normal life despite having a food allergy.
Dr. Katherine Gundling
Associate Clinical Professor of Allergy and Immunology
Founder and CEO
Bay Area Allergy Advisory Board
Alison St. Sure
Sure Foods Living
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Dial 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach 9 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos