Profiles of Excellence (Nov 2011)
"Profiles of Excellence" is an Emmy Award-winning series produced by the ABC7 Public Affairs Department to celebrate the Bay Area's rich cultural diversity. For the past 23 years, the program has been featuring local residents who have made important contributions to the community.Hosted by ABC7 News Anchor Eric Thomas, "Profiles of Excellence" features five truly impressive individuals.
>> Watch full episode Dr. Kathleen McGuire: Our first profile highlights a woman who's found a way to blend her passion for music and her dedication to community service. As a conductor, a composer, and the founder of a choir made up of homeless and disadvantaged people, Kathleen McGuire is making the world a brighter place.
>> Website: www.singersofthestreet.org Gerrye Wong: Our next profile is a self-proclaimed "perennial volunteer." Throughout her adult life Gerrye Wong has been a constant figure in the Asian American community. Over the years, she has headed up major campaigns to raise critical funds for Self-Help For the Elderly and Chinese Historical Society of America. Her dedication to preserving the history of Asian Americans, continues today.
>> Website: www.chcp.org Judge Trina Thompson: Our next profile introduces us to the first African American woman elected to the bench in Alameda County. Judge Trina Thompson is committed to staying connected to the community she serves, and focuses her attention on mentoring the young people she sees in her courtroom.
>> Website: www.acgov.org Catherine Sandoval: Our next profile highlights the first Latino commissioner in the more-than-one-hundred-year (101-year) history of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). Catherine Sandoval brings her wealth of experience, industry knowledge, and legal expertise to her role as a utilities regulator.
>> Website: www.cpuc.ca.gov Niall McCarthy: Our final profile features one of California's top plaintiff attorneys whose dedication to our community has helped make a dream become a reality. Niall McCarthy's leadership was instrumental in helping Community Gatepath open a valuable center for children and families with disabilities.
>> Website: www.gatepath.org Bedford Gallery at the Lesher Center for the Arts in Walnut Creek is the backdrop of our special program. With 3,500 square feet of exhibition space, the Bedford Gallery is the largest community-based visual arts facility between the bay area and Sacramento. The gallery exhibits the work of historic, modern, and contemporary artists. Currently on display is an exhibit called "Insider-Outsider Art: Selections From Bay Area Collections," featuring the unique works of over 120 untrained artists who have had no formal training in art. The exhibit will be on display through November 20th.
>> Website: www.bedfordgallery.org
>> Profiles of Excellence main page
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions
- BART police chief bringing auditor to assess reforms
- Fairfield grass fire spreads to nearby motel
- Tenderloin apartment building roof fire extinguished
- Tesla Model S recall for rear seat latch issue 59 min ago
- Workers face charges after sit-in at AT&T Park
- Medical association recognizes obesity as a disease
- Police enforcing pedestrian safety in San Mateo Co. 46 min ago
- 6-year-old boy killed by dog in Union City
- 49ers sign DE Justin Smith to 2-year extension 10 min ago
- Miami Heat force Game 7 in NBA Finals
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: Fairfield grass fire; SJ baseball suit
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday